Recipe: Immunity Tonic
We're on a quest to find the best plant-based recipes out there 🌿 #PlantsPowerPeople
Looking to amplify your immunity-supporting rituals? Look no further with easy recipes like the Immunity Tonic. This Immunity Tonic recipe is filled with superfoods, like fresh turmeric, that offers powerful benefits that can help us feel supported and balanced. Follow along for this immunity-boosting, plant-based refresher for your daily vitamins and minerals and even a good night’s sleep!
Category: Tonic, immunity
Prep Time: 45 mins
Yield: ~2 gallons
- 2 cups chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 cups freshly grated horseradish
- 2 medium sweet yellow onions chopped fine
- 1 medium red onion (chopped fine)
- 20 cloves plump fresh garlic (chopped fine)
- 20 1 inch nubs of fresh turmeric (finely chop), or substitute 6 tablespoons dried turmeric
- 4 organic lemons de-seeded, juiced, and peeled
- 4 dried red chilies ( give them a little smash in the mortar and pestle to release the oils)
- 2 tablespoons crushed Himalayan pink sea salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
- 24 cups of organic apple cider vinegar (192 fluid ounces)
- 4 cups raw honey
- 4 tablespoons dried sumac powder
- 1 cup organic raw cranberries chopped
- 30 dried whole small organic rose hips
- 1 cup of dried organic rose petals
- 1 cup of organic dried hibiscus flower
- ½ cup buzzed dried white pine powder (dry the needles and buzz to a powder in your food processor)
- 6 tablespoons organic bee pollen
- 1 ½ tablespoon wild fennel pollen
- ½ cup dried bee balm
- Plant People Drops+ Relief
Chop ingredients, measure lemon juice, salt, and cracked pepper and any add-ins if you are using any. Add all your chopped and dry ingredients together in a large glass bowl. Add the lemon juice and Give the whole mixture a thorough stir. Divide the chopped ingredients evenly into four half-gallon Mason jars. Top each jar with 6 cups of organic apple cider vinegar. Cover the top of the jar with baking paper or cheesecloth before screwing on the metal lid. The metal will corrode if you don’t. Place the jars in a darkened, room, or cool pantry for one month. Periodically turn the jars gently. After one month (or more if you want to leave it longer). Strain the liquid from the chopped and macerated roots and other bits with a fine mesh sieve. ( reserve the bits). Strain the tonic it into a large bowl or pot and give your Mason jar a quick rise. Pour the strained tonic back into a clean Mason jar. Repeat this process for all 4 jars. Add 1 cup of raw honey to each Mason jar. (add more or less to taste, stirring constantly until it dissolves). Your tonic should be spicy and sweet but not overly sweet.
Refrigerate or keep in a cool dark pantry and decant into a smaller bottle for easy access. Take daily or when you are feeling a little less than stellar.
Save the strained roots and macerated debris to be jarred and stored in a smaller jar in the fridge. You can use the chopped relish in your favorite dragon bowl or in fried rice, or even on a pork taco – SO GOOD! I substitute it for kimchi (see Julia Turshen’s kimchi fried rice recipe in Small Victories, substitute some fire relish for the kimchi).
Among other factors, what we choose to put into our body directly impacts our overall health. You truly get what you give and implementing plant-based eating into your diet is a trusted technique for receiving the most health benefits. This Immunity Tonic plant-based recipe is a delicious example of a supplemental tonic that can easily be added to most people’s daily routines. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables creates an influx of nutrients and antioxidants that fight free radicals, helping to support a healthy immune system. This immunity drink provides a combination of complementing ingredients like fresh turmeric and black pepper. While fresh turmeric is linked to a variety of health factors, unfortunately, it tends to be a challenge for the body to fully absorb. This is where a spice like black or cayenne pepper comes into play and allows the body to better retrieve this source. When combined, turmeric and black pepper have a greater effect on inflammation and digestion. Healthy recipes, like this Immunity Tonic, are the best way to truly see the ingredients you are putting into your body. Enjoy!